Middle School Technology Update and Specifications
2017 – 2018 School Year
Technology is a key component of our middle school curriculum and is embedded into daily studies. As we prepare our students for high school and beyond, our goal is to ensure that our graduates are “literate” in multiple platforms and devices.
At this time, we believe that a laptop or a Windows based tablet with a keyboard and USB Port will give our middle school students the breadth of computing experience from which to establish a firm technology foundation. At the same time we are committed to reviewing and introducing other technology that will enhance the computing literacy of our students.
BYOD—Bring your own device
Since first introducing the use of laptops in middle school in 2007, we have maintained a “bring your own device” approach. Please note that Holy Family parish operates and supports a Windows-based environment in middle school. Teachers will be instructing technology using Windows and will not be able to troubleshoot issues relating to the use of a Mac during class. Therefore, Apple products are not recommended for middle school.
In an effort to minimize the classroom time devoted to understanding operating systems, each incoming middle school student should go through a “Laptop/Tablet 101” class on August 15th during the Welcome Back to School Fair.
- Each student is encouraged to research keyboard shortcuts and become familiar with his/her own laptop/tablet.
- We also request system passwords be on file in the event we need to troubleshoot during school hours.
- Operating System: Windows RT Win 8 or Win 8 Pro
Win 7 Home Premium or higher
- Processor: Intel i3 2.0GHz or better, AMD equivalents are also acceptable
- RAM: 4 GB of RAM
- Hard Drive: 250 GB
- Security Software: Please ensure that security software is installed on your device before it is brought to school. This is REQUIRED (not just the free trial). We recommend Norton Internet Security or Norton360. Windows Defender is also acceptable and come built into Windows 10, as long as it is turned on.
- Office Solution: Office 2007 Pro or above, Office 365 (optional)
- Operating System: Windows
- Office Solution: Office 2007 Pro or above, Office 365
- Some Tablet Options: Surface Pro 3, Samsung, Dell Venue, Lenovo Yoga, etc (with keyboard and USB Port)