Summer Learning Packets
Do you work out or play a sport? What happens to your performance when you do not participate in these events regularly? Are your muscles still as agile and strong 3 months later? Can you play a tune on key with the proper timing and precision? No, is most likely the response most of us would say.
Students who do not read over the summer exhibit the summer slide. It is estimated that, on average, students lose 1-2 months of reading skills over the summer when reading is not practiced. Recognizing the importance of keeping children academically engaged over the summer, Holy Family Catholic Academy teachers have created summer learning packets for preschool through 8th grade.
Each grade level has created something unique for your child to work on over the summer. There are many great ideas to engage your student in summer learning.
- Encourage your child to read books they enjoy for at least 30 minutes per day. Allowing your child to select his or her desired book, will likely result in a more engrossed reader.
- Provide incentives for reluctant readers. For example, if your child enjoys soccer, agree to a friendly parent-child game of soccer once daily reading is complete.
- The family that reads together succeeds together. Make reading a social event by establishing a daily routine when all members of the family read independently or take turns reading the same book aloud.
- Connect your reading to family events. If you take your child to the zoo or on a family vacation, consider reading a related book with him or her later that day to bring their reading into a broader context.
- Visit your public library to find a variety of wonderful reading programs and challenges. Here are some links to local summer reading programs: Palatine Library, Barrington Library, Arlington Heights Library, Barnes and Noble
HFCA implements Common Sense Media lessons in all classroom, which is designed to empower students to think critically, behave safely, and participate responsibly in our digital world. Common Sense Media offers parental reviews on movies, books, TV, apps, games, and websites. We encourage you to utilize their site if you are looking for guidance as to appropriate content. Additionally, we have included a family agreement below for media usage. It is a great resource for talking points.
As always, please feel free to contact us with any questions you may have. We hope you have a great summer!
Please select the grade your child will be enrolled in for the 2017-2018 school year and click to open the document.
|1st Grade||6th Grade|
|2nd Grade||7th Grade|
|3rd Grade||8th Grade|